Thursday 11 April 2013

Flight Shot Assignment/Bald Eagles

Delta B.C. 72nd Ave Dog Park. Thursday April 11, 2013 Sunny.
Todays assignment was to go out and cover as much ground as possible in search for new arrivals and hopefully a vagrant or two. The migration is slowly depositing birds all over the countryside, so it's an exiting time of the year all birders look forward to. So far the most obvious arrivals in our neck of the woods are the Common yellowthroats, the Townsend's solitair and the Rufous hummingbird.
Instead of the usual tripod and Gimbal head I went hand-held with my Nikon D300s and F4 300m lens, that way I thought I could  cover much more ground than usual and possibly get some flight shots of songbirds. Five minutes into my walk I came across a Bald eagle's nest in a small popular tree, one of the occupants was flying around in circles intent on something on the ground. I did eventually go for a longer walk but found nothing of note and at the end of the day I was more than happy to have had a break from dragging heavy equipment around all day.

Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)


1 comment:

  1. John, great shots! It's always a thrill to see an Eagle!

    ReplyDelete