Wednesday 3 April 2013

Hope Airport/Northern Shrike

Mar 27 2013 Hope Airport. Sunny
I had a few hours to kill before my last presentation for the Fraser Valley Regional Library so I thought I might visit Hope Municipal Airport where some Rosy finches had been seen a few days earlier. I had expected to see more than the one lonesome Spotted towhee and a few Song sparrows so after two hours of scouring the trees and fence posts I was happy to spot a Northern shrike. It landed in a tree about 50 metres from my car, balancing my lens on a bean bag I approached slowly. Branches and a grey sky made for a somewhat lacklustre photo. A few minutes later it took off and landed even further away but with a more pleasing background. From the car I managed this long range shot. Hope Airport has quite a reputation for vagrants and rarities but on this particular day I had no such luck, maybe the Shrike had got there before me!



1 comment: