Sunday 4 January 2015

2014 A Good Year for Lifers

Jan 3 2015 

1. My first lifer of 2014 actually came from a May 2013 visit to Okanagan where I photographed a Cassin's Vireo. It sat undiscovered until January 2014 in a desktop"mystery bird" folder. I finally sent the picture to Mile Tabak who confirmed the ID.

2. Jan 14/14 Prairie Falcon at Brunswick Point, Delta BC. Originally found by Nick Balachanoff aka 'NickintheGarden'

Prairie Falcon


3. Feb 6/14 Gyrfalcon New Brighton Park Vancouver.
Gyrfalcon



4. Feb 10/14 Great Gray Owl Tynehead Regional Park, Surrey BC


Great Gray Owl


5. Feb 11/14   Townsend's Solitaire Richmond BC.

6. Feb 15/14 Tufted Duck Iona Regional Park/Sewage Lagoon.

Tufted Duck (foreground)


7. Mar 14/14 Sharp-shinned Hawk in my garden.

8. April15/14-May 6/14 73 UK Lifers from the Forest of Dean, Newport Wetlands and Gibralter Point, Lincolnshire.

Skylark Gibralter Point Lincs


Goldfinch Slimbridge UK


9. May 15/14 Williamson's Sapsucker and Cassin's Finch Princeton BC.


Williamson's Sapsucker


10. May21 Brewer's Sparrow, Chukar Keremos BC.

11. May18-22  Black Swift, Common Nighthawk, Gray Flycatcher, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Ruffed Grouse. Caribou BC.

12. Aug 30/14 Ruff Reifel.

13. Ash-throated Flycatcher. Another Nick Balachanoff  aka 'NickintheGarden' find.



14. Oct 6/14 Northern Pygmy Owl Cypress Mountain north Vancouver. Nick Balachanoff aka 'NickintheGardener' yet again.

Northern Pygmy Owl


15. Nov 5/14 White-tailed Wagtail Brunswick Point Delta BC.

16/14 Nov 15/14 Acorn Woodpecker Victoria BC.

Acorn Woodpecker


17. Dec 18 Surfbird Blackie Spit/Farmer's Slough.

So there it is 21 BC and Canada lifers and 73 lifers from the UK visit.


Wishing you all great birding in 2015.

"It's never too late to start birding"


John Gordon
Langley/Cloverdale








3 comments:

  1. Fantastic shots. Nick sure found many great sightings this year!
    You also did really well with photos and found amazing lifers like the williamson's sapsucker.
    I love that shot of the great gray owl that was a magic moment.

    Congrats on your year of lifers!

    mel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, John you have been posting up a storm the last week, I always enjoy reading your blog. You certainly managed to get some beautiful photos, well done.
    Nick Balachanoff
    or Flickr name Nickinthegarden

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thank you for making my birding so enjoyable. You certainly had an amazing year and hope it continues with some more spectacular finds. I hope I got your precious finds correct (let me know if I missed any) and note I have included your full name and correct Flickr handle. I think Nick the 'Gardener came' from my birding buddy Raymond Ng, Ha!

    ReplyDelete