Saturday 21 October 2017

All Things Must Pass


Brockweir Nr Chepstow Gwent UK


All thing must pass. After 55 years the family home has been sold. It's a bittersweet feeling as I bid farewell to the lanes and meadows I played in as a child, the brooks and rivers I fished and in later years, the gardens and orchards I birded. Will I ever return to my old haunts, I will never know. but the memories will be indelibly etched in my memory for the reminder of my days.
Mistle Thrush or Stormcock
Stormcock is an old English name for the Thrush because it sings in the heaviest storms .

The name was traditionally used in the south of England especially in Hampshire, Herefordshire and Gloucestershire.
The name derives from the fact that the Mistle Thrush, unlike most other birds, who seek shelter from stormy weather, actually seems to be stimulated by approaching storms and will sing or call lustily before and through bad weather.
Mistloe


Mistle Thrush

My last days were spent packing boxes and talking runs to the tip. Close-by was Cannop Ponds where a feeder attracts many of the forest birds. I had thirty minutes to spare between errands so headed for the ponds. These pictures from the comfort of my car which also acted as a blind.


These last images were taken with the Nikon P900



Blue Tit

 Male Chaffinch

Male Chaffinch colour variation. 

Chaffinch female.

Willow Tit..I think?
There are Marsh Tits nearby but quite rare.



Wren

Goldcrest.

"It's never to late to start birding"
John Gordon
Langley/Cloverdale
BC Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment