Monday 4 November 2013

Swamp Sparrow

Monday November 4 2013 Reifel Migratory Bird Sanctuary Delta B.C.
Nothing gets a birder more invigorated than the news of a potential 'Lifer' Better still, the bird was close by, just thirty minutes drive. As happens in these cases every light was against me, roadworks seems to be everywhere and why, why is everyone driving so slowly! Eventually, after what seemed an eternity I arrive and head toward the spot the bird had last been seen. Another birder was just leaving and was kind enough to point me in the right direction and show me a photo on the back of his camera. Easy I thought, but the wait turned into a two hour cat and mouse affair with the little sparrow feeding low to the ground in dense matted marsh grasses. As you can imagine brown grass and a little brown bird make excellent camouflage. Finally I catch a glimpse but as soon as I focus the bird is gone, two more attempts fail but finally two hours of waiting pays off with a clear view. Happy and enjoying the sunny weather I am trudging back to the car when a Belted kingfisher flashes by and lands in a tree. Five Sandhill fly overhead and all is well with the world. Time for coffee and the hand warmer.
Swamp Sparrow (Melospiza georginana)
Belted Kingfisher (Ceryle alcyon)
On my way back to the car I couldn't resist this long distance shot with the colourful background. 




No comments:

Post a Comment