Saturday 13 November 2021

Size Matters


Sat Nov 13, 2021 
Sumas Prairie

Today while out looking for the elusive Cattle Egret I happened upon a flock of swans. As usual I scanned the birds until one caught my attention. It was quite a bit smaller than the swan next to it. Through my bins I noticed the yellow lore, the field mark for a Tundra Swan. Here was an opportunity to photograph both species in the same frame, all I had to do was wait until a Trumpeter walked close enough. Like many, I have difficulty in separating one scaup from another or for that matter one gull from another. The list goes on. Bird identification it seems is a life-long study. Often the swan's bills are covered in mud making precise identification difficult. The comparison photo included shows difference in size between the two species.

Trumpeter on the left.


No comments:

Post a Comment