Friday 27 July 2012

Wye Valley Birding Part 3 Woodpecker

This bird was one of a pair and to see it darting from branch to branch and from tree to tree was magical. The Greater spotted woodpecker (Dendrocopos Major) is the size of a blackbird or American robin. It drums on large oak trees and gives out a loud 'Kik Kik'
Because we are in the late summer the morning chorus of the spring has been replaced by the sounds of the young nestling begging for food and the somewhat comical newly fledged, who in their first days away from the nest are learning to catch insects or find fruit.
The Greater spotted woodpecker will come readily to the bird feeder but because I didn't bring my blind I have to sit or stand very quietly for long periods of time. I usually stand in the shade or lean on a tree, I call it standing meditation bird photography.

Greater spotted woodpecker

No comments:

Post a Comment