Sunday 4 October 2015

Some Misc Birds

Sept 27/1-Oct 1/15 
 Brydon Lagoon, Langley/Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal/Reifel Migratory Bird Sanctuary

Brydon Lagoon, Langley BC 
Brydon Lagoon is within walking distance of my home. Acting on a tip from fellow birder Cos I went down to see if the Western Grebe he had spotted earlier in the week was still there, it was. Also present were a small flock of Cackling Geese which were roosting with a flock of much larger Canada Geese. This shows the size difference.
Cackling Geese (foreground) and their larger cousin the Canada Goose in the background.
Western Grebe
This the first time I have seen a Western Grebe at Brydon Lagoon. I waited until it swam into an area where colour was being reflected off the autumn tinged foliage. Most of the other shots had too many highlights or nondescript dark backgrounds.

Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal

Lapland Longspur.



Thanks to fellow birders Pauline and Jean who alerted me to this Lapland Longspur on the north side of the ferry terminal. The longspur was feeding with a flock of nervous Savannah Sparrows and was difficult to approach. I shot this from a distance of about sixty feet or about three cricket pitches length.

Sandhill Cranes
Transient flocks of Sandhill Cranes arriving on Westham Island.

Sora
There have been a number of rails seen at Reifel over the last few weeks. Both Virginia Rail and Sora have been seen on a regular basis at numerous locations. This Sora was taken by the lookout at the outer ponds.


Oct 2 2015 Burnaby Mountain Burnaby BC Foggy
I hadn't been able to get up to Burnaby Mountain to chase down the Red-naped Sapsucker but finally an opportunity presented itself. When I arrived the mountain was fogged in and raining. Visibility was about twenty feet and the dull light meant I had to shoot at ISO 800. I fired off a few shots before it got too miserable. I used a flash to punch up the contrast. 
Red-naped Sapsucker
Finally I would like to thank all who came out for my recent talks at the Langley Camera Club (Kenya Safari) and Nature Vancouver (Birding Across Canadian in 60 Days)
The feedback is most important as enables me to go back into my presentations and tweak (nor to be mistaken for twerking) the images to make the show more fluent for the viewer.

"It's never too late to start birding"
John Gordon
Langley/Cloverdale
BC Canada





1 comment: