Sunday 25 October 2015

Roadside Hunter

Oct 24 2015 104St and Hornby Drive, Delta BC 14c

I had been birding most of the morning (see next blog) and was making my way home with all my photo gear packed away in the boot of the car. On the seat beside me was the Nikon 200mm-500mm just in case I saw something interesting.
Juvenile Red-tail Hawk.
Well, it didn't take long for when I pulled out of 104 onto Hornby Drive I spotted a juvenile Red-tailed Hawk being mobbed by Northwestern Crows. I cut the engine, rolled down the window as the raptor dropped to the ground, grabbing a partially eaten prey and flew off across the freeway. It all happened in a few seconds, the very reason to keep a camera close at hand.

The raptor pounces on prey. 

and off he goes with a meal.

"It's never too late to start birding"
John Gordon
Langley/Cloverdale
BC Canada

2 comments:

  1. Same reason why I keep my camera on and in the passenger seat when I leave Boundary Bay :) There usually is some raptor on a post/lampstand on the way home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I bought the 200mm-500mm for grab shots like these. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

      Delete