Friday 5 September 2014

Tamron 150mm-600mm Walking the Serpentine

Sept 4 2014 Serpentine Wildlife Management Area Sunny

I had a few spare hours Thursday morning so I decided to walk the Serpentine Wildlife Management Area in Surrey. It is close to my home and there is usually something interesting to photograph.  
I took my Tamron 150mm-600mm which allowed me to walk the trails without the hindrance of a bulky tripod and heavy lens. Coupled with the Nikon D7100 the walk covered a couple of kilometres.
Merlin (Falco columbarius)

Purple Finch I think ? There were females nearby so I think it's not a house. What do you think?

Downy Woodpecker (Picoides pubescens)
At the look-out tower overlooking the river, you can shoot into the canopy of trees from above. There are often birds feeding on seasonal fruit. This downy flew in as I photographed Song Sparrows.




All these shots were taken handheld with VR enabled. I still have my Canon SX50HS which I now use for video while the Tamron has now become my go to'Walkabout' lens. Would I have been able to react so quickly to the Merlin flying by if I had been burdened by a tripod, I doubt it and for that reason alone I'm glad I have it.



"It's never too late to start birding"

John Gordon
Langley Cloverdale

No comments:

Post a Comment