Thursday 13 September 2012

A Great-horned owl draws a crowd

Reifel B.C.Sept 7 2012
It was past 9 a.m. by the time I arrived at the George C. Reifel Migratory Bird Sanctuary. Today I was on the look-out  for a Great-horned owl. After about ten minutes walking along the outer trail I spotted him perched in a fir tree. However, no sooner had I arrived he took off. I double backed to a spot where it had been previously seen roosting and sure enough there he was. Originally the bird was facing away which made photography impossible. After about thirty minutes it started preening and slowly turned around to watch a squirrel feeding on the ground although here, he appears to be looking directly at me.


Great horned owl




A male Northern flicker poses for the camera.
 Northern flicker male

No comments:

Post a Comment