Saturday 21 April 2012

A New Bird

Friday April 20th 2012
My first visit to Maplewood for six months. The new bridge construction on Hwy 1 makes for a torturous drive from Cloverdale so I prefer to go where there is less congestion.
Anyway, the highlight of the day was my first sighting of a reclusive Virginia rail which was kindly pointed out to me by a fellow birder (Melody). I would have never seen it as I was so pre-occupied by the flock of Ruby-crowned kinglets that were flittering from tree to tree.
Ruby-crowned kinglet

Virginia rail

Eventually I did get a few shots of both plus a yellow-rumped (myrtle) warbler.
Male Yellow-rumped warbler (Myrtle)

Earlier I came across a flock of Red crossbill feeding on algae like seaweed. A pair of pine siskin were also feeding on the material (see the not so great picture)
Pine siskin feeding on seaweed

Red crossbills feeding on seaweed at Maplewood

Follow the link to learn more about Maplewood:

httpp://birdinginvancouver.wordpress.com/site-guides/maplewood-conservation-area/

No comments:

Post a Comment